Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Fox Valley Homeschool Teen Literature Group



Hi, fellow homeschoolers.

My name is Leo Heska; I'm a homeschooling dad (I do half the teaching of our 14-year-old son). We've been homeschooling now for 4 years.

Besides homeschooling, I also lead the Fox Valley Homeschool Teen Literature Group ("Lit Group" for short). We meet in Batavia weekly during the school year. We invite all homeschoolers regardless of creed or curriculum.

I am about to start actively recruiting for the 2010/2011 homeschool year, but before I do, I want to send a quick e-mail to some of the folks I've corresponded to, and to homeschool support groups. I warmly invite homeschooled teens, to join us in our literature discussion and study, and also in the fun activities we do. At present, the Lit Group is nearly full (a size of about 11 teens is ideal; currently we have ten signed up, but can accommodate more). I want people I've already contacted to get "first crack" at the remaining slots.

We study both "classic" literature, and also easier "teen reads." Teens stay in our group for several years, and I find that a diet of pure classics for 5 or 6 years running can be offputing.

But literature is only half the purpose of our group - the other purpose, equally if not more important, is to give homeschooled teens a chance and a place to meet and have fun with other smart homeschoolers in a safe, positive, friendly, fun environment.

If you and your teen(s) are interested in a very high-quality, fun time studying literature and enjoying the company of other smart teens, please contact me, and/or visit our website for more information:

http://www.hlitgroup.org

Our Lit Group is free, by the way, other than a nominal (and voluntary) fee of about $10 per school year to cover minor expenses.

Cheers

Leo Heska
happy homeschooling dad of 14-year-old