Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Ruth by Lake and Prairie



Hello Ms. Schnepper—

I saw your post about the history programs at the Des Plaines History Center and the reference to thaumatropes caught my eye. If it would be of interest to your readers, I included a thaumatrope on the activities page of the web site for my book “Ruth by Lake and Prairie.” Ruth’s story follows her journey with other pioneering families from Ohio to Illinois through the Great Lakes so I created a schooner thaumatrope.

Homeschooling families may not be familiar with “Ruth,” but I’m proud to say that it won an award from the Illinois State Historical Society for depicting 1830”s Illinois history in an accurate and entertaining way. There isn’t a lot written about 1830’s pioneers, which is forty years before Laura Ingalls Wilder, so I’m always trying to let teachers know the book is available.

Thank you for the interesting information about the Des Plaines History Center. Enjoy these spring days!

Kate Gingold
www.KateGingold.com
http://www.ruthbylakeandprairie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment